Sabinal Blue

Visiting The Thoughts Of Yet One More Person

Meanderings of an introverted dancer - a public school teacher with thoughts on music, politics, and life in the hills.

Monday, February 18, 2008

Is it possible to live too long?

You know I do a lot of complaining about things like the "No Child Left Behind Acts". The implication in such a political statement is that there were/are actually teachers out there whose whole purpose in life is to leave children behind. I don't believe that, I really don't. The job just doesn't pay that much to have that kind of political motivation. Let's face it, teaching is a calling, and those who don't do it well disappear after 2-3 years. You have to really really want to do it to last beyond.

But I've said all that and more too many times. So what prompted me to write today? Well, I'm analyzing things. It is very true that each year I find more and more typos in magazines, newspapers, and books. I find more and more mistakes in textbooks. Nothing drastic, nothing that will change a person' life. Just little things that make me feel a bit creepy. Like, maybe that's what prompted all this No Child stuff. [That's another whole issue. I bet the people behind the act either a) have no children and/or b)have no children in public school. But I digress again.]

But the truth is, typos are not the fault of education. It's the fault of magazines, newspapers, and book publishers. They simply do not hire people to be editors anymore. Not true editors. Oh, I'm sure someone has the title. But they aren't paid enough to do the actual work that's involved. At least that's what I always thought.

Which brings me to what prompted today's tirade. I borrowed a book from the library. It's 4 years old, and says right across the cover #1 New York Times Best Seller in big enough letters. I guess it's okay to mention the publisher - Harper Collins. I'm going to read the book, because my bet is the author is a lot smarter than the editor. But what started me to thinking about getting upset about this whole thing is something written across the bottom of the cover. Before I blurt out what's bugging me, I must also say this is NOT a funny book. It is, in fact a political history book. I don't want to call out the title, because I sincerely do not want this to be associated with the author, who is someone I respect.

So, here goes. Right along the bottom edge of the front cover, centered, it says: "Written by the author."

I'm starting to think I've lived too long. Also, I'm wondering why this bugs me and no one else?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home