Sabinal Blue

Visiting The Thoughts Of Yet One More Person

Meanderings of an introverted dancer - a public school teacher with thoughts on music, politics, and life in the hills.

Sunday, August 14, 2005

Bobby Marchan

Discovered a popular song from 1960 that my ears had never really paid attention to - "There's Something On Your Mind". What a voice. I figured there would be info on someone this good on the internet, and www.allmusic.com came through. I couldn't find an album to search for, but since his death there have been several compilations of his singles. I'll try my best to track them down, but it's difficult for me to want to dig too deeply for someone who hit my ears as close to James Carr & Otis Redding and then find out 20 years later he was trying to make it with a tune called "Disco Rabbit". Not that I've anything against novelties - all for them. But where's the rest of the classics? His run with Huey Smith may have put his voice on record, but he's not truly featured, because those were ensemble pieces.

So, what is this about? Well, I'm reflecting how I go seeking for the lifework of a vocalist or artist when I hear something wonderful. I'm trying to decide if this is a good thing? It's a hobby, I guess - but why can't I simply be satisfied with listening to "There's Something On Your Mind" over and over? I definitely have no problem listening to it.

I think I can sorta answer the question. Otis Redding, Marvin Gaye & James Carr are good examples - they had a few hits - but they have albums full of gems that never hit the airwaves & I just love listening to the albums over and over. I guess there's a part of me that feels we miss out on some really great art if we simply settle for what the radio stations and TV stations decide we are supposed to listen to.

I fould 3 Marchan collections that are still in print - guess I'll keep doing research. I'm listening to Huey Smith as I type, and sure - it's fun - but the vocal quality I love in "There's Something On Your Mind" simply isn't there. Ah-ha-ha-ha-hey-ey-Oh! Guess I have to give in and go with the humor =:-) Hi-de-hi-de-hi-de-ho- don't you know Yockomo!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home