Sabinal Blue

Visiting The Thoughts Of Yet One More Person

Meanderings of an introverted dancer - a public school teacher with thoughts on music, politics, and life in the hills.

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Start The Clock * Benjamin Rosenbaum

Another excellent story. The plot is an old one - when someone you love decides to take a different turn and grow in a different way than you choose, what do you do? Story is well written and presents a different view of the world 30 years from now - but despite the sociological differences, the emotional issues remain. A worthy read - one I would definitely recommend to high school English teachers because of the discussions it could elicit.

We all have to make our own mistakes, I know - but I'm betting if I had a story like this to reflect on with good discussions with my peers I would have made the same mistake less often in this life, thus hurting fewer people along the way. At least I would hope that would have been true.

On a similar note I received the strangest phone call of my life this morning. I was working with several special ed kids when a voice came over the intercom - "Mr Soos, call your wife as soon as possible." Of course I replied, "What do you want me to call her?" The answer I got back was "Mrs Soos".

So I found a phone and called her. She asked if I could be home at noon becuase my dad was getting married. "My dad is what?" Sheesh. I'm 50 - that makes my dad something like 74. Do 74 year olds get marrried without warning? Apparently so. It worked out, the school counselor covered for me, I got to the church on time, and yes - my dad got married to someone I've never met or even heard of. Turns out she's a delightful woman, and I'm sure my dad will be very happy. But what a shock =:-) Nothing better than a good shock to the system from time to time!

The story theme fits because one has to make a choice when someone you love chooses a life track different than you expect. Should you shun them, or love them for who they are? I've seen many grown-ups act like 9 year old children and shun their wives, parents, siblings, etc. I've made the same stupid mistake more times than I'm willing to try to count. But this time I made the right decision, I think. I accepted my dad's wishes and wish him only the best =:-)

Good story, good day.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! Thanks for the kind words. That's just how I'd like for that story to be read.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Cholla Needles said...

Well, this is cool - you must have a good search engine to find this so fast =:-) Thanks for posting your web site - I took a quick trip there, and plan to visit for a longer period very soon. Thanks! -Rich

11:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home