Sabinal Blue

Visiting The Thoughts Of Yet One More Person

Meanderings of an introverted dancer - a public school teacher with thoughts on music, politics, and life in the hills.

Tuesday, September 02, 2008

An interesting day.

Won't take long for people to now me before they think I'm a die-hard social democrat. And, for the most part that's true.

One of my main button issues is education, mostly because of my job and my care for the kids I teach. So I was very disappointed to read in the democratic platform that they plan not only to keep NCLB, but to "completely fund it" (which is impossible). There's only one good thing in the entire NCLB act, and that's the requirement for teachers to know the subject they're teaching. That only makes sense. Although, I have to admit that one of my favorite teaching positions was one year when I was required to teach math and science (6th grade), and I knew next to nothing about either. I worked my butt off that year, staying excited every day because everything I was learning was new to me, thus fresh for the kids. But it's not something that I'd recommend. When I protested the priciple simply said "you're a great teacher, and I know you'll be great at this." That's called faith. It worked, but I can see why it's important for teachers to know their subject, so that's the only part of NCLB act that makes sense. The downfall to that, however, is that people who major in science and math are NOT going to be teachers - teaching pays approx 1/4 of what they will get in what we call "real life", so it's tough to find people willing to sacrifice their future for the future of children. Not impossible, just tough. As usual, I've igressed.

Okay, back to where I was. The democratic position bothered me. Then, today, in an education on-line magazine they announced the republicans are thinking of scrapping NCLB altogether! Wow! Someone is actually listening to all the teachers and parents in our country??? And it's the republicans??? Is that weird or what??? I'm still high on McCain's choice for VP, and this news makes me think even more about voting for a party that truly cares about what real people are saying. You can't find very many parents or teachers supporting NCLB - mostly because of it's emphasis on a single test. And, say what they want, I know for a fact we are being told to teach to the test. Teachers are forced to pour over "released tests" and word their tests exactly like the state tests, etc etc etc. We are told which topics are most likely to come up, and we have to teach those topics over and over. The "released tests" over the past few years give everyone a good idea of what will be on next years test. Which explains why test scores are rising back to where they were before NCLB went into effect.

Enough enough enough. I know I sound like a broken record. I'm simply surprised because of all the money being made from the testing that the Republicans would be the party that scraps it. I'm in shock & awe right now. Of course, the article did say they were considering it. I'll make a stand and say if they promise to do that that I will be happy to switch parties. I'll place my loyalty to any party wiling to listen to the majority of Americans, and not the minority of moneyed people.

The articles against the new VP are popping out:

_With the convention still abuzz, the list of potentially embarrassing details grew Tuesday

LOL!!! Did we expect anything less than negative from the press?

_Palin sought pork-barrel projects for her city and state, contrary to her reformist image.

LOL!!! Get this straight - she was hired as mayor of a city by citizens who wanted her to bring $$$ to her district, and by the people of the state to do the same thing. We don't elect Governors who say "no more job growth for our state!" So, she's being criticized for doing her job well. Well, that's normal, I guess. No one gets criticized for starting illegal wars anymore.

_Her husband once belonged to a fringe political group in Alaska with some members supporting secession from the United States.

LOL!!! I support succession from the United States myself. It's legal for Texas to do that, by the way. They're just too stupid to actually do it. It seems smarter to them to send money to Washington and then beg to get it back. The real point is - who cares what her husband wanted to do? He's no going to be VP, she is.

_A private attorney has been authorized to spend $95,000 to defend her against accusations of abuse of power.

LOL!!! Having been falsely accused of stuff myself, that only makes sense. Lawyers, for whatever reason, do not come cheap. And you KNOW someone is going to accuse her of something. Life is funny that way when you're in the public eye. So, she's being ridiculed for being smart.

_She has acknowledged smoking marijuana in the past.

LOL!!! Catch 22. She's being ridiculed for telling the truth! If she had of said she never smoked, everyone would know she was a liar. She's 44. Of course she has. Anyone who says they haven't over the age of 16 is a liar. That's a given. She knows we know that, so she told the truth. Caught either way. Sad. Let the past lie in the past. It's good to know she's human.

I decided I know why I like her. She reminds me of some of my very opinionated neighbors. I always wish they would run, but here in Texas it's not normal for women in the country to run for office. Some big cities are more liberal in that regard, but let's face it folks, they don't even sell beer to women in this part of Texas, so things are moving real slow up here. The only thing that's changed in the past 50 years is the gas prices and property taxes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home