Sabinal Blue

Visiting The Thoughts Of Yet One More Person

Meanderings of an introverted dancer - a public school teacher with thoughts on music, politics, and life in the hills.

Monday, November 07, 2005

Sudoku Craze

Well, I decided to find out what the craze was about. Good old fashioned logic games! I love it!

The directions said an average person can do an easy puzzle in about 10 minutes, a moderate puzzle in 20 and a difficult puzzle in 30. Well, I did the easy one in 30 minutes. Will wait awhile before I tackle a difficult one =:-) The rules are simple - so simple I'm thinking of putting together a few to have my 2nd graders work with. Get the brain cells working, anyway.

Mindless entertainment, but I can see why the craze is sweeping the nation. How long it's been going on, I have no way of telling, being up here in the hills away from the mainstream; but I'm happy enough to become adicted to something new. Got tired of the books.

I read 4 of the books that my mom left me: China Card by John Ehrlichman (interesting because of who he was, otherwise too hollywood); Tangent Objectibe by Lawrence Sanders - very interesting look at how the oil barons "run" their worlds, Topaz by Leon Uris - an interesting take on the James Bond craze in the early 60s - more intellectual, and some good lines thrown in making fun of the bond genre - an oldie but goodie - one interest for current readers was a throw-away line about how the Americans don't use torture, and while that may make them seem weak in the eyes of the world, it is actually what makes them strong - cool line, but I doubt if we were ever that noble - I know we haven't been for many years; Andromeda Strain by Michael Crichton -the plot has been so overused - even though I know this is an early book of his, it was still a cummy read because every move has been done again and again - could be I read this book before - not worth a re-read; City of Gold by Len Deighton - well, what can I say? Not the best book ever written; and, yes, I finally gave up on Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz - I have decided to make a bold statement. I think this would make a much better movie than a book. Anyone who knows me knows I have never met a movie better than a book - but done right, I think this would make a fascinating movie, but I have decided to stop trying to finish it as a book. The first chapter is a classic, by the way; but it goes downhill real fast.

So, till I get some new books, I'll be working on Sudoku.

I've finished my personal work on the book of Genesis, tho as a group we're still on Chapter 30, with 20 chapters to go. We decided long ago to tackle Revelation next, so I am starting to re-organize my teaching notes, and have started digging in and seeking for more gems to share. Since I am so far ahead of the group, I may put my take on Chapters 1-3 into prose. If I do I'll post it here. My main philosophy is that the 7 letters the Jesus wrote were written personally to me. Taking that viewpoint, of course, that means they were written to every single human being, and worth exploring from that perspective.

May have dug up an investor for my CD "Fiddling Around In Sabinal" Should have final word soon. Now if I can dig up someone willing to gamble on "Insecurities", a bolder statement - tho the tunes are already over a year old. Sheesh, time goes fast. I know folks who hear these for the first time won't know how long ago the tunes were written, but it's weird trying to re-learn them all so I can play them live. Guess everything turns out to be a logic/mind game =:-)

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you solve newspaper sudoku puzzles, or from a web site?

I've created a web site that you might like: Fiendish Sudoku. Don't be scared by the name, there are five difficulty levels so there's something for everyone. There are new puzzles every day, and the online solving grid can give hints or step-by-step solutions. If you prefer solving on paper, the site has a range of printing options.

Worth a look!

- RobertN

7:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home