Sabinal Blue

Visiting The Thoughts Of Yet One More Person

Meanderings of an introverted dancer - a public school teacher with thoughts on music, politics, and life in the hills.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

My Ignorance Is Bliss

Forgive me if I'm wrong. I often am, obviously. I mean, I've said from October 2001 that going to war against Iraq for no reason was wrong in the face of the terrorism that was facing our country. Well, since the war went so well and there is peace among all the countries in the middle east these 5 1/2 years later, I was obviously wrong and I apologize for that.

I also mentioned in those days how wrong it was that we go to war in Afghanistan. Sending troops into a nation that had no wish or desire to accept the United States even exists just didn't make any sense. Of course, the arrest, trial, and confession of Osama Bin Laden has proven that I was wrong on that account to. Apparently all the bad leadership and education in Afghanistan was all his fault, and now that everyone there owns Fords and Ipods we are one big happy world community, and I can accept that my predictions were way off base.

It still seems weird to me, tho, that even with the billions of dollars our government pours into Afghanistan each year, plus the thousands upon thousands of troops that we have there protecting the interests of the United States that we are still only able to raise poppy production by a mere 25% per year. With all our help you'd think they could double and triple their output of heroin to our needy country. How are we going to ever keep the poor people from rioting if we can't keep them forever high?

Opium production in Afghanistan reached record levels last year, the United States has said. Four years after the US and its British allies began combating poppy production, Afghanistan still accounts for 90% of the world's opium trade.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home