Sabinal Blue

Visiting The Thoughts Of Yet One More Person

Meanderings of an introverted dancer - a public school teacher with thoughts on music, politics, and life in the hills.

Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Music of Our Lives

My favorite part of the internet is actually meeting people and seeing things they have to say. I met Hank Beukema through Marquetta, who had reviewed one of my Cds on her website. Through her website, she introduced me to Hazy Davey, and Italian songwriter with a Springsteenish nickname. I was intrigued enough by his music that I subscribed to his newsletter. His newsletter is also subscribed to by Hank, who from time to time lets us all know he has posted a new article. So, I really don't "know" Hank except through his articles; but his articles strike so close to home that I feel we've passed paths in bars from time to time.

Anyway, today was one of those times Hank let us know he posted a new piece. It is purportedly a review of an album that has been out for 4 years and spent lots of time on all our turntables (if you can call a cd player a turntable?). You can wonder at that, till you notice the date of the review. I won't spoil it for you - it's simply a powerful piece of writing. It is very subdued - with the proper glee and elegance at hearing an extraordinary album. Of course, juxtaposed with the date of the listening party gives us this fabulous line - I thank you so much for this - says everything a body can't say in the extraordinary circumstance of the the previous day:

"I’m still empty and aching, but somehow I can stand it a little better now… The world’s still the same as it was an hour ago, but somehow I’VE changed a little… Not a lot; not a big deal; just enough to go a little further, though… Just enough to keep giving it another try… Just enough to keep goin’ down the trail… Just enough........" http://www.mytown.ca/beukema/

The link to Marquetta's site is http://www.lonestarwebstation.com/mtmkfront.html

The link to Hazy Davey's site is http://www.lonestarwebstation.com/davideravera.html

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Hawaii uke music, Soos!

I've been a blogger off and on for a while now, have tried out a lot of different sites. Was on Blogger at first, then moved to LiveJournal, now on Braveblog.

You're on my list of folks to send the NPIP (Novel Permanently in Progress) to for some feedback when it's finished. It's sci-fi; enjoyed your Arthur C. Clarke post.

6:53 PM  
Blogger Cholla Needles said...

Looking forward to NPIP. Off to read your blog. . .

8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home